Mini Meatball & Pasta Soup
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten with a fork
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp onion soup mix (or 1 tsp salt + 1 tsp onion powder + 1 tsp beef bouillon powder)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsps onion soup mix
- 3 cups finely chopped veggies of your choice (carrots, cabbage, celery...)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 minced cloves or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup small pasta
- 1 can (14.5 oz) tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes (or 1/4 cup fresh, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix meatball ingredients in a bowl using a wooden spoon or your hands.
- Roll into bite-sized balls, like a large cherry. (makes about 24)
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at for about 20 min. or until the largest one reads 160F with a meat thermometer.
- Meanwhile, chop all vegetables.
- Cook pasta: Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add 1 cup small pasta and 1 tsp salt to water and cook until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot bring the first 5 ingredients to a boil and simmer for 20 min or until veggies are soft.
- When veggies are tender, add meatballs, pasta and remaining ingredients. Adjust flavours to taste. Serves 4 to 6.